Anunt online
Image default

Child psychiatrist


A child psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders in children and adolescents. They are trained to assess, diagnose, and treat a wide range of mental health conditions in young people, from anxiety and depression to ADHD and bipolar disorder.


Child psychiatrists typically work in private practice, but may also work in hospitals or clinics. They may see patients on their own, or as part of a team that includes psychologists, social workers, and counselors.


If your child is experiencing emotional or behavioral problems, it’s important to seek help from a qualified child psychiatrist. Early diagnosis and treatment can often lead to better outcomes. Treatment options vary depending on the individual child’s needs, but may include medication, therapy, or a combination of both.


Child psychiatrists are child and adolescent psychiatrists who have completed training in child psychiatry after their child psychiatry residency. This period is known as child and adolescent fellowship. Child psychiatrists may be board-certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) with subspecialty child board certification in child/adolescent psychiatry. They may also hold additional qualifications such as MBCHB, MRCPsych, MCABPN or CCFP. Psychiatrists can specialize in child psychiatry through one year of fellowship after completing psychiatry residency, which consists of 2 years of general psychiatry plus an additional 3-7 years focused on child psychiatry aspects. Child psychiatric boards are not recognized by the ABPN.


Some child psychiatrists also work as researchers, studying the causes and effects of mental health disorders in children and adolescents. This research can help to improve our understanding of these conditions and lead to better treatments in the future.


If you’re considering seeking help for your child’s mental health problems, it’s important to do your research and find a qualified child psychiatrist who can provide the best care for your child.